Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Invasion

My house has been invaded by insurgents. They come at all hours of the day and night, on tiny feet, silently invading every room. They have been spotted in the toaster, in the coffee maker, in the recycling, in the dishwasher. They come from behind cupboards and out of the electrical outlets. I wipe out whole battalions with a squirt of Lysol but they regroup. Spiders sit vigil in the corners, stuffing themselves, a pile of bodies at their feet. But even the spiders can't keep up. The insurgents are willing to sacrifice a few as they continue on their quest for crumbs, water and cool. They have favorite spots - my laundry basket, the freezer, and even inside the microwave. When I turn the power on, they just laugh at me and scurry around doing a little victory dance. I am exhausted.

Artwork I did long ago for a picnic invitation

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...