Friday, June 14, 2013

Eric Ravilious Coronation Mug

Angie Lewin's linocut featuring the Ravilious mug
I first saw the1953 Queen Elizabeth II Coronation mug by Ravilious in a print by British print artist Angie Lewin. Known for his paintings and prints, Eric Ravilious (1903-1942) also designed for for Wedgewood Potteries. Ravilious was killed during World War II while working as a war artist. The mug was reworked posthumously for the coronation. I was lucky enough to win this lovely mug on Ebay.

The real thing with paler colors
While I would love to have an original print by Lewin to go with my mug, I shall have to make do with the greeting card above of the image. It's published by Art Angels and I purchased mine online from One Brown Cow (they have lots of other images by Angie Lewin, in case you are a fan!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...